Design & Manufacture
Design & Manufacturing Solutions
What we offer
An assured service
We want to ensure that you always get a consistently high standard of service. In addition to our other accreditations, we were the first company in Europe to gain NADCAP certification for both AC7120 (Circuit card assembly), and AC7121 (Cable & Harness).
Starting from an initial concept or a detailed specification, we provide a comprehensive design service that incorporates electronic, electro-mechanical, network, manufacturing, maritime, systems and software engineering.
Electronic design, including circuit development and PCB design.
Electro-mechanical design, including use of Inventor 3D Computer Aided Design.
Software development, including software integration, graphic user interface design, driver interfaces and server configuration.
Protoype design, including on-site secure test facilities.
Systems Engineering, including use of INCOSE trained staff and methodologies and Product Lifecycle Management.
We offer a dedicated Technology Centre that provides a Design for Manufacture service to optimize product and system design. We will work with you to integrate product design and process planning into one common activity, structured to ensure your project can be easily and economically manufactured.
Optimising all manufacturing functions, including fabrication, assembly, test, procurement, shipping, service and support.
Ensuring the best cost, quality, reliability, regulatory compliance, safety, time-to-market, and customer satisfaction.
Offering a formal new product introduction process with clear documentation and review cycles.
Materials support for all levels of PCB, cable assembly and box build.
JSTD-001, IPC-A-610, IPC-WHMA-A-620 certified personnel.
Our UK-based manufacturing facilities offer a secure, comprehensive and flexible service for the aerospace, defence and marine sectors, capable of developing prototypes and delivering low to medium volume production runs quickly and at a low cost.
Over 50 years’ experience in the design, manufacture, supply and repair of aircraft looms and specialised subsea cables.
- Nadcap AC7121 accreditation for cable and harness assembly
- Aerospace wiring looms to IPC-WHMA-A-620 standards
- Harsh environment and subsea cable and connector solutions
- Cable Braiding – Steel, Copper and Nomex
- Fibre Optic cable assembly
Offering a range of PCB services, from single board prototypes to high volume production.
- NADCAP AC7120 accreditation for PCB assembly
- IPC-A-610 operatives
- Three surface mount lines and conventional through hole
- Leaded and lead-free (SMT, TH and Wave)
- BGA and X-Ray inspection capable
- Conformal coating
- Environmental Stress Screening
- Automatic Optical Inspection
Manufacturing a range of bespoke structures for the defence and aerospace markets.
- Sheet metalwork folding & punching up.
- TIG and Spot welding (coded welders)
- Precision milling and turning
- Painting and finishing – Wet, dry, powder, silk screening, engraving, plate finishing and dip-brazing
Fabrication of complex panels and boxes for aerospace and military applications.
- Sub-system assembly
- Electro-mechanical assembly
- All operatives trained to JSTD-001, IPC-A-610 and IPC-WHMA-A-620 Level 3 standards
- Manufacture of individual prototypes to production quantities
- Programme and procurement management
- Flexible, scalable capacity and obsolescence management
- Cable and wiring solutions
- Fabrication and finishing
- Bespoke test solutions
Sharing in Growth
STS Defence is part of the Sharing in Growth programme, a Government initiative to raise the capability of UK aerospace suppliers by sharing best-practice.
The scheme provides tailored training and development programmes which cover all relevant disciplines such as lean operations, manufacturing processes, purchasing, cost modelling and leadership.
For STS Defence, Sharing in Growth has accelerated our Continuous Improvement journey and delivered sustainable benefits, not only in manufacturing efficiencies but also in developing leadership skills and pulling people together to deliver great customer satisfaction.