The Project Manager (PM) is responsible for the successful delivery of a variety of engineering Projects, as delegated by the Programme Manager. The PM provides disciplined, repeatable Project Management output, supported by a sound understanding of engineering standards, preferably with marine or defence experience. This role is customer-facing and also has a proactive business development requirement. The Project Manager is crucial for creating and maintaining focus, enthusiasm and momentum, ensuring the overall integrity and coherence of project requirements, delivering successfully to time, cost and quality.
The Project Manager is responsible for:
- Planning, maintaining and delivering effective projects, proactively monitoring and actively influencing progress, resolving issues and initiating appropriate corrective action.
- Ensuring effective time, cost and quality controls throughout the project lifespan, focussing inwardly on the consistency of the project and alignment with STS Defence strategy, and outwardly on its coherence with customer expectation and specified standards.
- Facilitating and managing the output of individuals assigned to Project Teams.
- Ensuring the maintenance of sufficient resources and skills for required project activities.
- Managing communications with all internal and relevant external stakeholders.
- Managing risks and issues which may affect the projects’ successful outcomes.
- Initiating training, skills development and recruitment requests wherever resource gaps in the project are forecasted or identified.
- Reporting the progress of projects at determined intervals to the Programme Manager.
- Proactive identification and exploitation of all new business development opportunities.
The Project Manager should have:
- Effective leadership, management, interpersonal and communications skills, preferably to a nationally recognised accreditation level.
- The ability to command respect and create a sense of community amongst the members of the project teams.
- A strong understanding of engineering standards, preferably with marine or defence experience.
- Knowledge and experience in the techniques for planning, monitoring and controlling projects.
- Sound written and verbal skills, with the ability to create the full range of project documentation.
- Sound knowledge of programme and project management methods including any of the following: APM, PRINCE2, MSP, Change Management and MoR.
- Proven experience of budget management and control, preferably with a working knowledge of SAGE or an equivalent system.
- An in-date passport and full driving licence is desirable but not essential
- SECURITY – All candidates must be in a position to obtain UK security clearance to SC level
Why work at STS Defence:
- Opportunity to join an exciting, innovative technology and engineering company where our mission is to deliver solutions that make a difference
- Professional training programmes and year on year growth gives access to significant
- career development opportunities
- Great central location on the south coast with opportunities to travel
- Flexible holiday scheme with 25 days holiday a year in addition to bank holidays as standard and the option to purchase up to a further 5 days holiday each year
- Company pension scheme with above statutory employer contributions
- Life assurance cover
- Working hours that include a normal finish time of 1pm on Fridays
- Access to a wide range of corporate discounts and additional benefits including a health
- plan and a tax free cycle scheme
- A service leaver friendly employer and signed up to the Armed Forces Covenant