STS Defence is a progressive and innovative company with technically differentiated products & services. It is currently entering a planned period of transformational growth across its existing operations within the aerospace & defence marketplace as well as in new sectors where it is rapidly developing innovative, cutting edge products & services.
The role will develop and execute the purchasing and logistics strategy and will take the lead on the strategic procurement activities required to support the needs of the business units and meet the overall growth plans of STS Defence.
The role will also manage the adherence and governance of all procurement work instructions and drive activities across multiple categories of spend to support the business in achieving its milestones for delivering on time, on cost and on quality in line with customer requirements.
The Supply Chain Manager will be responsible for:
· Reporting directly to the Financial Controller; provide full procurement support to all departments, with a particularly emphasis on negotiating requirements for engineering resources including: – raw materials, build to print assemblies, electronic components, engineering, through life and subcontract/partner services.
· Oversee the sourcing of all parts, components, materials, equipment, goods and services required to support the activities of the business and achieve sustained continual cost reduction, delivery and quality targets.
· Lead the respective supply chain teams, update and review all departmental KPI’s; set objectives, mentor and evaluate all members of team.
· Management of end to end supply chain function, incorporating: logistics, material control and procurement in accordance with relevant industry standards and trade compliance.
· Provide timely and dedicated reports on all procurement activities and existing commitments.
· Establish and monitor an appropriate supplier KPI regime, review procurement metrics on performance and challenge the business to improve efficiencies.
· Execute business wide sourcing activity in order to put fit-for-purpose supply contracts in place and ensure that robust procurement processes are consistently applied.
· Take ownership of the strategy for major spends, including ownership of strategic supplier relationships; play an influential role in negotiating, managing and developing collaborative supplier relationships.
· Support major bid activity where there is a significant procurement requirement from an early assessment of risks, financial liabilities and constraints, through delivery to service.
· Produce strategic sourcing plans for the business that detail procurement commitments for bids, programs and new product development activities.
· Implement procurement strategies that support new product development activities across the company and ensure that the business units are aware of any impacts on timelines.
· Conduct a comprehensive review of the methodologies of the function; identify and implement improvement activities, track all changes to costs, savings & progress through the utilisation of KPI benchmarked action plans.
· Ensure all items are purchased to meet customer flow downs and comply with the requirements for FAI, AS9100/IS09001, and Nadcap etc.
· Identify new suppliers, negotiate/improve terms and supply agreements; where appropriate, critically asses, reduce and streamline non-performing suppliers.
· Conduct supplier visits and audits as required, perform cost, scenario analysis and benchmarking; ensure adherence to STS core values and principles.
· Support the development of structured supplier contracts, whilst increasing supply flexibility for future growth; ensure good project management is applied to reduce risk.
· Identify and resolve supplier issues that impact on business schedules and implement corrective action plans as required.
· Manage the flow of change requests and change notices to and from the supplier in compliance with contract terms & conditions.
· Implement a strategic procurement excellence programme that continuously improves purchasing methods, drives down external spend & internal cost, track usage trends and reduces stock and WIP.
· Oversee the procurement of direct subcontract management activities required; manage all subcontracts, requisitions, PO’s & invoicing requirements.
· Ownership and cross functional co-ordination of the supply chain audits and obsolescence processes.
Qualifications, Experience And Skills:
- Engineering, Science, Supply Chain Management or other relevant degree.
- MCIPS or equivalent professional qualifications preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years’ “hands on” experience as a Procurement / Supply Chain Manager, with a strong emphasis on leadership, strategic procurement and new product introduction: – able to perform within a commercially focused and growth orientated low/medium volume SME manufacturing environment.
- An understanding of strategic procurement within the areas of Electronics, Aerospace & Defence sectors could be beneficial as would any relevant experience within new and evolving technologies, including rapid growth electronics, communication networks or artificial intelligence.
- Strong project management, presentation and supplier development skills.
- Experience of establishing strong strategic working relationships with suppliers.
- Demonstrate an understanding of end-to-end supply chain activities
- Commercial astute with strong financial and analytical skills
- Have the ability to prioritise and make strategic decisions as well as to manage the day to day operations of the department.
- Have an aptitude for continuous improvement and be able overcome challenges and achieve results.
- Well developed IT Skills: – MS Office, MRP systems and SAGE accounting.
- Full clean UK driving licence, valid Passport.
- Hold or be able to hold SC clearance.
- Strong leadership skills: – be approachable and have the ability to build working relationships across the organisation. Demonstrating a “can do attitude”
- Have a pragmatic approach to ensuring that strategies can be fully executed in order to support the design and development activities of the business.
- Professional, self-motivated and self-disciplined, with the ability to work to tight and demanding timescales.
- SECURITY – All candidates must be in a position to obtain UK security clearance to minimum SC Level. Additional restrictions may apply on certain defence programmes
- All candidates will be required to adhere to STS Defence core values
Why work at STS Defence:
- Opportunity to join an exciting, innovative technology and engineering company where our Mission is to deliver solutions that make a difference
- Great central location on the south coast
- Competitive basic salary
- Company pension scheme
- Life cover (three times basic salary)
- Flexible working hours that include a normal finish time of 1 pm on Fridays
- Access to a wide range of employee benefits and discounts including a tax free cycle scheme