It is a great time to be joining us as we continue to develop and deliver new and exciting solutions for the defence, maritime and aerospace sectors, resulting in continued growth year-on-year…
Located in Gosport on the South Coast, we will be looking to expand our existing design team by bringing on board a Mechanical Designer for an initial 6-9 months. This is to support a period of increased workload as the business embraces an exciting ‘design’ venture!
Working as part of a small team of design experts, and under the expert direction of our Head of Design, the role of the Mechanical Designer will contribute to the responsibility and accountability for the timely and cost-effective completion of the mechanical design project for a high profile customer. You will be someone who does not settle for ‘mediocre’- you’ll be striving for the highest quality at all times as well as possessing uncompromising attention to detail.
This is set to be a varied role, and will suit someone who prides themselves on their ability to take a flexible, adaptable and inquisitive approach to their design operations. No two days will be the same, and you can expect to get involved in a number of different tasks to include:
- Carrying out concept and detailed design
- Creating 3D models and assemblies plus 2D drawings, including detailed tolerance analysis
- Conducting/supporting peer reviews and formal design reviews
- Liaising with other resources to support finite element modelling and other simulation work
- Liaising directly with customer and suppliers
- Conducting design failure mode effects and analysis reviews
- Working closely with fabrication/machine shop facilities to ensure design is optimised for manufacture
- Proactively alerting peers, project teams and management of any risks and potential mitigation actions
- Ensuring that all design work is cost optimised in accordance with product cost forecasts, and labour budget
This is also a rare opportunity where you can comfortably develop your existing skill set whilst learning new skills on the job too. You’ll be working alongside some of industry’s best deign talent on some of the latest technologies, so you are sure to excel in the role!
To succeed, we are looking for the following in you:
- The ability to gain SC clearance (essential security requirement)
- Proven and demonstrable experience in a mechanical design role
- Experience in the creation of 3D models and assemblies plus 2D drawings, including detailed tolerance analysis
- Ability to design failure mode effects and conduct analysis reviews
- HND/Degree in Engineering or extensive industry experience will be considered in lieu of academics. An advanced apprenticeship with significant industry experience may also be considered.
- Highly proficient in AutoCAD Inventor and Autodesk Vault
- Hands-on experience of designing electronics enclosures
- Ability to work in an engineering team environment and participate in all team activities, with a willingness to share own professional experience and skills
- Computer literacy with an emphasis on Microsoft Office applications
- Ability to work well with others within a collaborative and team environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge/experience of electronics cooling
- Cable harness design
- Finite elements Analysis, shock/vibration testing
- Practical experience in any form of sheet metal fabrication
- Experience in a highly regulated engineering environment (preferably Defence or Aerospace)
If this opportunity is of interest, take your next step today and apply…
A full job description is available for suitable applicants
Our Commitment to the Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. STS Defence recognises the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our company and the United Kingdom.