We are scaling new heights in our development and delivery of new and innovative solutions for the defence and maritime sectors, and we want the best talent on-board to join us on our journey.
Based at our Head Office in Gosport, near Portsmouth, we are looking to appoint a Buyer to join our existing team of procurement specialists. We are keen to hear from individuals who may consider a permanent or contract opportunity.
Reporting to the Senior Buyer you will be given the opportunity to lead on procurement activities to support daily demands and hold responsibility for the day to day management of MRP ordering and tactical purchase requisition processing. The role of Buyer plays a pivotal role, as part of a wider team, in the delivery of high profile and mission critical programmes for the defence and maritime sectors, so if we’ve captured your attention, read on…
Working in a team that operates with precision and at pace, there are key skills that are required to ensure your success in the role. Communication is key, therefore you must be an individual who possess the ability to build and develop relationships with a cross-functional stakeholders- your customer base. As you will be dealing with multiple and competing tasks i.e. balancing tactical priorities against planned demands for the business, you must have exceptional multi-tasking skills and are well organised.
Ideally you will be the person who thrives in a busy environment and enjoys working as part of a team. For the right person, the role will allow professional development and the ability, each day, to make a tangible difference within business.
Possessing a background in a defence or manufacturing environment is advantageous, but not essential.
To succeed in this role, we are looking for the following in you:
- Proven and demonstrable experience in a buying role of a similar nature (tactical purchasing)
- Experience of using MRP and accounting systems i.e. 123Insight and Sage 200
- CIPS qualified or equivalent, or a desire to work towards gaining a CIPS qualification (Permanent candidates only)
- Conversant with Excel to intermediate standard, with an ability to use bespoke systems and IT packages quickly and efficiently
- Possess strong critical thinking, analytical and problem solving skills
- Demonstrate flexibility to respond to urgent requests and meet tight deadlines
- Possess strong problem-solving, decision making and time-management skills, and the confidence to contribute to the development of innovative solutions to challenging and complex problems
- Excellent written and verbal skills, and possess a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent presentation and communications skills with proven experience of engaging and building relationships with a range of stakeholders
- The willingness and desire to learn new skills and invest in professional development
If this opportunity is of interest, take your next step in your career today and apply…
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. STS Defence recognises the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our company and the United Kingdom.
We are proactively committed to making STS Defence a more inclusive and diverse place to work and welcome all applications regardless of individual characteristics. We want everyone to contribute and develop to their full potential at STS Defence.
Please note that all of our roles are subject to security vetting and therefore some positions may be restricted to UK Nationals.
Applications from agencies will not be accepted.