Design and Development Test Engineers
The D&D Test Engineer will be a key member of the design and development team as they will oversee all design, development and qualification (DDQ) projects and ensure that all designs are testable and tested to the required standards.
Typical projects require a blend of shock, vibration, environmental, electrical and functional testing which must be considered during design and prototyping phases, and correctly tested to meet requirements. The D&D Test Engineer will watch the design process and examine designs, then identify areas of concern with regards to test. The D&D Test Engineers will also plan for qualification by being our subject matter expert on product testing and developing procedures to test
Reporting to the Head of Design, this is a key function within the Technology department, taking requirements through the verification and validation process to customer satisfaction by testing electronic and mechanical components through to full-scale assemblies for sub-systems and complete products.
Typical projects reside within the naval environment, for defence prime contractors including STS Defence directly on a number of MOD programmes. This therefore requires a UK national able to attain the appropriate security clearances. This role requires strong prior experience of verification and validation of designs, of devising and carrying out tests and writing results into reports.
- Write verification and validation procedures using computers, test equipment and loggers to manipulate and monitor products
- Use electrical, electronic and mechanical design tools to create interfaces and controls between equipment under test and measurement equipment
- Manage stakeholder needs, developing clear boundaries to capabilities and managing expectations
- Working with design engineers to test and trial concepts, and writing reports for internal and external customers
- Support project teams and the wider business with test and measurement advice that will contribute to business winning, manufacturing and product maintenance processes
- Manage and develop the test equipment asset portfolio and develop verification and validation capabilities
Experience and Qualifications:
- Ideally a degree or HND with some experience but equivalent, demonstrable knowledge and experience is sufficient
- Clear understanding and experience of verification and validation of products to user requirements
- A solid engineering background with skills in electronics, mechanical design and working with sensors and data loggers
- Good communication skills and the ability to work effectively in a team
- Commitment to quality