Health and Safety Manager
We are scaling new heights in our development and delivery of new and innovative solutions for the defence and maritime sectors, and we want the best talent on-board to join us on our journey…
Based at our Head office in Gosport, we are looking to appoint a Health and Safety Manager due to business growth. In this critical role, you will be responsible for leading on all aspects of H&S for the business and be our subject matter expert for all H&S matters. You will lead on the delivery of expertise into customer projects as well as our own internal operations.
As the business’ lead on all aspects of Health and Safety we’re also looking for someone who, not only brings a wealth of experience in the field, but the drive and passion to implement new ways of working to increase effectiveness. Naturally, when you join you’ll be keen to review the existing H&S approach to ensure that it remains relevant and effective for the business’ operations, but we know that you’ll soon be keen to drive your own improvements across the business, and we will not hold you back! You’ll keep abreast of industry standards, legislation changes, and best practices and in doing so, ensure that our business, STS Defence, has a robust approach to managing and driving Health and Safety.
Other aspects of the role:
- Advise and guide on H&S matters into all customer projects supported by STS Defence covering manufacturing and through life support.
- Produce Safety and Environmental Management Plans and Systems, policies and procedures.
- Maintain expert awareness of all legislation, customer regulations and best practice guidance.
- Produce and review of safety and environmental cases for a range of systems and capabilities.
- Ensure that at all times all projects are delivered in a safe and sustainable way.
- Engage with the business to ensure compliance with existing policies and processes.
- Lead on all investigation activity relating to Health and Safety accidents.
- Ensure the development and introduction of training programmes and materials, and communicating this to relevant stakeholders and all staff to include; driving, manual handling, first aid and fire safety.
- Implement practical and effective methods, both preventative and remedial, of promoting health and safety and safe working practices across the business.
- Have strategic oversight of the operational delivery of Health and Safety training to the business.
- Ensure that training programmes and materials remain up to date and in line with industry best practice and align to the requirements of the business’ accrediting bodies.
Integral to the role is the ability to build robust cross-departmental working relationships- we work as ‘One STS’ and strive towards the same goal! You’ll be a part of a successful business where working as ‘one’ counts for everything. The role will ensure that you are fully supported and receive the ongoing training and development you require to be the very best you can be in the role… The one question that remains is whether you believe that you can make a difference? If so, read on.
To succeed in this role, we are looking for the following in you:
- Qualified member of the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH) or the International Institute of Risk and Safety Management (IIRSM).
- Qualified to a high standard by the National Examination Board in Occupational Safety and Health (NEBOSH) – Diploma level or above.
- Knowledge and understanding of ISO 45001.
- Experience in writing and reviewing H&S procedures.
- Auditing & Inspection skills and experience.
- Proven ability in incident investigation and reporting.
- Microsoft Office Skills with an ability to use bespoke systems and IT packages quickly and efficiently.
- Excellent communications skills with proven experience of engaging and building relationships with a range of stakeholders.
- Significant experience in a Health and Safety Management role within an engineering environment- desirable.
- Skills in negotiating and conflict management, with the ability to identify and address differences of objective, attitude or perception in order to produce an agreed outcome for all parties.
- Willingness and desire to learn new skills and invest in professional development.
- Ability to influence and align others towards the vision for the project.
- The ability to gain SC clearance (essential security requirement).
Our Commitment to the Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. STS Defence recognises the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our company and the United Kingdom.