IT Server / Infrastructure Support Engineer
Located in Gosport, we are looking to expand our IT team. The role is for an IT Server / Infrastructure Support engineer working as part of a wider project team as part of our ongoing programme of projects providing support into the Royal Navy. The individual will be working as part of a team of engineers responsible for the configuration, installation, deployment and support of COTS/MOTS software on server based virtualised secure solutions. This role will require skillsets in the configuration and support of Microsoft Server and VMWare ESXI based systems, including onsite deployment and support at customer sites. The candidate will have with a proven track record of supporting and contributing to the delivery and support of on-premises IT systems. This role requires a technical background in VMware and Microsoft Server configuration and support, and would suit an existing 3rd / 4th line IT Server support engineer looking for the next step in their career.
• Work as part of a team supporting complex IT projects developing virtual server systems contributing through delivery into service
• The production of all essential project documents and internal work instructions – to be documented to a high deliverable standard, both internally and externally to the customer
• Supporting the team lead in delivery of customer and in house work packages
• The provision of innovative technical solutions supporting the team lead to develop future project requirements with the customer
• Build and enhance relationships with peers
• Continuous improvement of engineering capabilities, maintaining a leading edge capability
• Keep abreast of industry trends and advancements in information technology
• Remaining available, on occasion, for the provision of an on-call, out of hours support service for urgent operational requirements
• Demonstrable track record of deploying and supporting at a 3rd / 4th line system level enterprise infrastructure and services including Active Directory, DHCP, DNS, Anti-Virus, WSUS, back-up and storage, Windows Server 2012 through to 2019 and Windows 10
• Demonstrable Experience in configuration and 3rd / 4th line support of VMWare virtualisation technologies including ESXI, VCSA, HA Failover, VSAN, Version 6.0 onwards
• Experience of the full engineering lifecycle; design/development, test & acceptance, configuration management, in service support
• The ability to think creatively to overcome challenges
• Demonstrable IT Infrastructure engineering experience, preferably in government/defence sector
• A positive and forward-leaning attitude to continuous improvement
• Full UK driving licence
• Current UK passport
The IT Server / Infrastructure Support Engineer may also have the following skills and experience:
• Microsoft, VMWare certification or equivalent industry experience
• VMWare Vsphere and VCSA System Administration
• Server storage configuration such as VSAN
• Supporting and deploying wider connected IT systems including other peripheral elements such as networking equipment and other LAN or WAN connections
• All candidates must be minimum SC cleared with a willingness to apply for DV
• All candidates must be a UK National
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. STS Defence recognises the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our company and the United Kingdom.
We are proactively committed to making STS Defence a more inclusive and diverse place to work and welcome all applications regardless of individual characteristics. We want everyone to contribute and develop to their full potential at STS Defence.
Please note that all of our roles are subject to security vetting and therefore some positions may be restricted to UK Nationals.