We are scaling new heights in our development and delivery of new and innovative solutions for the defence and maritime sectors, and we want the best talent on-board to join us on our journey…
Due to experiencing significant company growth, we have created this new role to support our existing team of project delivery specialists. This role will be based at our Head Office in Gosport, near Portsmouth.
The Project Accountant is a pivotal member of our project delivery team and is responsible for strengthening the project reporting and controls across the business. The main objective of the role is to generate value by enabling the business to deliver improved operations through management of enhanced reporting and analysis, and with a focus on automation through system and process improvement.
Operating across different operational areas and departments, the Project Accountant is responsible for supporting a variety of design, manufacturing and engineering support projects to time, budget and quality. The role will also support all aspects of the project lifecycle from bid to project closure, enabling improved decision making and operational performance throughout. You will be proactively managing, influencing and driving progress, resolving issues and initiating appropriate corrective action at all stages from bid to closure.
Other aspects include:
- Support the project planning process, taking into account the need to analyse resources and equipment for all required project activities, and ensure that full visibility of costs is given. Produce business cases where needed.
- Regular reporting and forecasting of project costs, profitability, cash flow and risks against budget. Reconcile reporting and forecasting of costs across systems and reports, ensuring accuracy and control at all times.
- Communicate and document progress, issues and solutions to senior managers and the wider project delivery teams, obtaining their input as appropriate, throughout the project lifecycle(s) ensuring full control at all stages in line with delegations.
- Ensure any project changes are proactively identified, captured and managed with generation of accurate reports for customers where needed.
- Support continuous improvement and project management capability development across STS Defence with improved system tools, automation and processes.
- Ensure compliance to overall Finance Department standards and procedures. Assist the wider finance team in other tasks as may be needed from time to time.
Ideally you will be the type of individual who thrives in a busy environment and enjoys working as part of a team. For the right person, the role will allow professional development and the ability, each day, to make a tangible difference to the business and to the UK’s defence industry!
What we’re looking for in you:
- Possessing a background in a defence or manufacturing environment is advantageous, but not essential.
- Degree qualified or educated to an equivalent standard in a relevant subject, i.e. in finance, engineering or science.
- High levels of attention to detail and the ability to work independently where needed.
- Direct experience with project finances in a relevant business setting.
- Demonstrate good commercial awareness and understanding of financial management.
- Demonstrate a good understanding of the key principles of cross functional project management.
- Demonstrate a good understanding and/ or experience gained in the use PM tools e.g. MSP, Gantt charts, RAID, and project reporting.
- A strong interest and understanding in business analysis: developing engaging reports, MI and managing complex datasets.
- Conversant with Excel to intermediate standard, with an ability to use bespoke systems and IT packages quickly and efficiently
- Possess strong critical thinking, analytical and problem solving skills
- Demonstrate flexibility to respond to urgent requests and meet tight deadlines
- Possess strong problem-solving, decision making and time-management skills, and the confidence to contribute to the development of innovative solutions to challenging and complex problems
- Excellent written and verbal skills, and possess a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent presentation and communications skills with proven experience of engaging and building relationships with a range of stakeholders
- The willingness and desire to learn new skills and invest in professional development
- Holder of a full UK driving licence, with the ability to travel, when required
If this opportunity is of interest, take your next step in your career today and apply…
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. STS Defence recognises the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our company and the United Kingdom.
We are proactively committed to making STS Defence a more inclusive and diverse place to work and welcome all applications regardless of individual characteristics. We want everyone to contribute and develop to their full potential at STS Defence.
Please note that all of our roles are subject to security vetting and therefore some positions may be restricted to UK Nationals.