Field Service Engineer
Due to continued growth, we are now looking to expand our team of Field Service Engineer. Located in Gosport, you will be a part of a highly capable team of field based ‘Systems / Field Service Engineers’ with the responsibility for providing specialist technical support to maritime platforms and defence establishments, within the UK and abroad.
Field Service Engineer is a key customer facing role, you will be an integral member of the team, responsible for the delivery of technical ‘systems’ support for contracts relating to UHF Fleet SATCOM Maritime and Multi Media (MMM) equipment, installed on Royal Naval/RFA ships, submarines and shore establishments. The System Engineer will have mechanical and electrical skills and be a technical authority / SME (Subject Matter Expert) in their field and provide a high level of technical support to include; fault finding, repairing, maintaining and upgrading UHF satellite communications, TV and recreational systems on Naval vessels
The Field Service Engineer will have mechanical and / or electrical skills and be a ‘technical authority’ / SME (Subject Matter Expert) in their field. You will be a key representative of our brand and therefore maintain the high standards our customers have come to expect from us.
- Provide off-site engineering support; fault finding and maintaining the equipment in support of the Project Manager to meet the short and long term customer work programmes
- Deploy nationally and globally when required, inclusive of Contractors on Deployed Operations areas, in order to fulfil contractual and operational requirements
- Contribute, as an active team member, towards ‘STS Defence 24/7 Help Desk’ operations, when required
- Providing technical support and being prepared at times to fulfil a short notice deployment in support of defect rectification and support for the customer, when required
- Liaise and communicate with ‘system’ maintainers
- Provide training to ships’ staff and sub-contractors
- Test equipment, spares and systems in house
- Take responsibility for quality of work carried out and ensure that the Health and Safety policy is adhered to
- Review, update and improve internal processes and user technical documents and write reports
- Undergo and maintain professional training
- To carry out and lead system installations on platforms around the country/World
- Experience of working with Maritime communications and Multi Media systems to include basic networking and computer skills
- Ideally qualified to HNC / HND in a related discipline or in lieu of academics, possess considerable experience
- Experience of working with UHF SATCOM systems (Maritime /land/Air) with knowledge of waveforms and systems utilised within the Naval Maritime sphere
- Have a good working knowledge of RF theory and application, including the use of equipment involved in problem solving of RF systems – This equipment includes, but is not limited to, Power Meter, TDR, Frequency Counter, Spectrum Analyser, Cable loss measurements
- To be able to repair/install cables and connectors (Co-ax / Power /N Types,BNC, D types
- Technical skills and awareness, mechanical and electrical, ideally qualified to 18th
- An in-date passport and category B driving licence
- Customer facing, field based ‘technical support’ experience
- Proactive mind-set with the ability to deal with competing priorities without compromising quality of work
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build strong working relationships with colleagues and the external customer
If this opportunity is of interest, take your next step today and apply…
Our Commitment to the Armed Forces Covenant, Inclusion and Diversity
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. STS Defence recognises the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our company and the United Kingdom.
We are proactively committed to making STS Defence a more inclusive and diverse place to work and welcome all applications regardless of individual characteristics. We want everyone to contribute and develop to their full potential at STS Defence.
Please note that all of our roles are subject to security vetting and therefore some positions may be restricted to UK Nationals.