Health and Safety Advisor
It is a great time to be joining STS Defence as we embark on our most exciting, yet ambitious, year to date!
We are scaling new heights in our development and delivery of new and innovative solutions for the defence and maritime sectors, and we want the best talent on-board to join us on our journey…
Based at our Head office in Gosport, we are looking to appoint a Health and Safety Advisor who possesses experience in safety case planning and management. In this critical role, you will be responsible for leading on all aspects of H&S and be our subject matter expert for all H&S matters for the business. Driven and passionate about your profession and keen to make your mark, you will lead on the delivery of H&S expertise into customer projects as well as our own internal operations. Bringing a wealth of experience, credibility and gravitas from working in a similar role and industry sector, you will undoubtedly be the business’s respected and go-to H&S expert!
We’re also looking for someone who possesses a bold vision to implement new ways of working to increase effectiveness. Naturally, when you join you’ll be keen to review the existing H&S approach to ensure that it remains relevant and effective for our operations, but we know that you’ll soon be keen to drive your own improvements across the business, and we will not hold you back! You’ll be someone who is ‘on-point’ with industry standards, legislation changes, and best practices and in doing so, ensure that our business, STS Defence, has a robust approach to managing and driving a positive safety first culture. We are very keen to hear from specialists who have a background in safety case planning and management, an attribute that will give you an immediate advantage in this process, especially if this has been gained in an engineering / manufacturing environment.
Other aspects of the role include:
- Lead and advise on H&S matters into all customer projects supported by STS Defence covering manufacturing and through life support.
- Create Safety and Environmental Management plans, policies and procedures.
- Maintain expert awareness of all legislation, customer regulations and best practice guidance.
- Produce and reviewing of safety and environmental cases for a range of systems and capabilities.
- Ensure that all projects are delivered in a safe and sustainable way.
- Engage with the business to ensure compliance with existing policies and processes.
- Lead on all investigation activity relating to Health and Safety accidents.
- Ensure the development and introduction of training programmes and materials, and communicating this to relevant stakeholders and all staff to include; driving, manual handling, first aid and fire safety.
- Implement practical and effective methods, both preventative and remedial, of promoting health and safety and safe working practices across the business.
- Have a strategic oversight of the operational delivery of Health and Safety training to the business.
- Ensure that training programmes and materials remain up to date and in line with industry best practice and align to the requirements of the business’ accrediting bodies.
Integral to the role is the ability to build robust cross-departmental working relationships- we work as ‘One STS’ and strive towards the same goal! You’ll be a part of a successful business where working as ‘one’ counts for everything. The role will ensure that you are fully supported and receive the ongoing training and development you require to be the very best you can be in the role… The one question that remains is whether you believe that you can make a difference? If so, read on.
To succeed in this role, we are looking for the following in you:
- Qualified member of the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH) or the International Institute of Risk and Safety Management (IIRSM).
- Qualified to a high standard by the National Examination Board in Occupational Safety and Health (NEBOSH) – Diploma level or above.
- Experience in the development of Safety and Environmental Management plans and cases.
- Knowledge and understanding of ISO 45001.
- Experience in writing and reviewing H&S procedures.
- Auditing and Inspection skills and experience.
- Proven ability in incident investigation and reporting.
- Microsoft Office Skills with an ability to use bespoke systems and IT packages quickly and efficiently.
- Excellent communications skills with proven experience of engaging and building relationships with a range of stakeholders.
- Significant experience in a Health and Safety Management role within an engineering / manufacturing environment, ideally within the defence sector- desirable.
- Skills in negotiating and conflict management, with the ability to identify and address differences of objective, attitude or perception in order to produce an agreed outcome for all parties.
- Willingness and desire to learn new skills and invest in professional development.
- Ability to influence and align others towards the vision for the project.
- Ability to travel to customers sites, when required.
- The ability to gain SC clearance (essential security requirement).
If this opportunity is of interest, take your next step in your career today and apply ensuring to place particular emphasis on the essential competencies needed to succeed in the role.
Our Commitment to the Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. STS Defence recognises the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our company and the United Kingdom.